4.25.2009

It's about being cool and seeming right.

I just watched a fantastic film that I highly recommend to everyone, Thank You for Smoking. This film follows Aaron Eckhardt who is the VP of a tobacco research company who is basically in the business to defend tobacco. He makes a point that his job is to be right. There is an interesting scene when the character is spending time with his son. He begins to give him an example of what he does by saying that he wants to prove that vanilla is the best icecream flavor there is. And of course his son says, "no chocolate is the best." Then Eckhardt begins to question, "How can you prove that chocolate is the be-all end-all of flavors?" You can't we could spend all day running in circles. Instead he points out that it's all about having the choice of flavors, and he's right. I don't know if that's exactly the point that was made but I was just enthralled with the simple truths of the movie.

Besides the fact that I now know that it's not a good idea to debate with Aaron Eckhardt on any topic, I am having a wonderful time back in Auburn. I was never in limbo as I previously stated I was home all along and it's where it's gonna be for the next 2 or so years until I am holding a degree in my hand. That day now seems so much more glorious. If I could only get up for those 8 0'clocks.

Since being back I've enjoyed a Jimmy John's #11, A Niffer's Chicago Burger, A late evening romp through Wal-mart, and of course I watched The Dark Knight on the jumbo-tron in Jordan-Hare stadium while lying on the field. I've also had the pleasure of driving up and down streets with construction everywhere (this will never end I can guarantee you). But like I've said before I am home and it feels right. Who wants to get a meal?

"Cigarettes in Space... wouldn't they all explode from the oxygen only environment?"
"Probably, but that can be fixed with one line: 'Oh Thank God we invented the whatever machine...thingy."

Thank you for smoking,
Marcus C.

No comments: